Monday, October 5, 2009

My Barbie car chop shop

Yes folks, a Barbie car can be stripped. There were a few who thought I was a little crazy and they're probably right, but I'm glad I am. One of my old Beehive girls, Wendy Freeman, gave me their family's old Barbie car, Limo to be exact. It even has a hot tub in the back! It was in pretty good shape too, just the stickers were looking a little worse for wear. Although I'm a huge fan of pink (it is my favorite color) I prefer Barbie stuff to have a more realistic look, always have. All of the kids were very excited to have a Barbie car and the boys were overjoyed that it was no longer going to be pink (not a very boyish color). I really didn't have any idea how much I still love Barbie stuff until I started making the Barbie house, now I can't stop with the Barbie stuff, it is so much fun. I feel like I am making all those childhood wishes and dreams come true, you know, the stuff I always wished I had but never did? Well, I'm glad P likes the Barbies cause here they come! The boys are having a blast too. Micah has requested a Ken doll for himself and one for each of his brothers, you know, so they can play with their sister like they said they would since she has no sisters to play dolls and Barbies with. They are so sweet, but I know they like it as much for themselves too.

Above and below are before pictures

Here is a before picture top view. The boys want me to put the tv and shelf stickers back on that you see in the back seat area. They did peel off nicely and I put them on wax paper, so I might put them back in.
This picture below is after I removed all the stickers and wheels and scrubbed it and covered the interior with plastic wrap and packing tape.

This is another view from above


I asked Ty to pick up some silver spray paint made for plastic when he went to the hardware store. he didn't find any silver, so I had him get black. I actually really like the black, looks like a true limo.


I do want to add some "lights" and plates, but even without, it's a pretty sweet ride.

Thank you Freeman family, this car will be used and loved by all!

7 comments:

The Smith Family said...

How fun Kelly! Love it!:) So glad that #4 was a girl so you could enjoy the fun that is barbies again! I loved playing with my mom's "special" barbies when I was little--they had WIGS! And REALLY cool dresses that my grandma made, fur wraps, cool shoes, the whole bit. But the wigs were my favs! If only I had a limo to put them in, that would've rocked!:)

The Millers said...

Oh how fun! I am glad you made good use of that Limo. Many good memories were made with that Limo. haha. Barbies are fun! I can't wait to play with them again someday! My brothers always loved playing barbies with me, as long as we did some basketball with the ken dolls, and cool stuff like that.

Scrapally said...

Too fun! Love the black limo...I see hours of fun ahead for your kids!!!

Lori said...

Wow I never would have thought to do that! Maybe you should open your own barbie auto shop!

Miranda said...

Kelli,
I LOVE your cute ideas. I would have never thought to do that and what a fun project! After looking at your cute barbie ideas I asked Arden yesterday if she liked barbies, she has never asked for one or seemed to really want one. She said no, not really :( Too bad these would be fun to do! Maybe if I make some miniature furniture she might be more interested!

Luna said...

You are so creative! That really is one sweet ride.

Yasmine said...

Oh. My. Goodness. Cracks me up. Maybe you could start a business. We've got a few cars that could use some work...