Thursday, February 19, 2009

Wiis, weaning, and walking

On February 7th we finally got a wii! I am sure that there are plenty of people that don't have one, but for us to not have one with Jacob as our son may be surprising to some of you! My grandma gave our family a chunk of money for Christmas and I wanted to be sure it went to something for our entire family, and Tyler and I earned some Visa cards for participating in Healthy Rewards (a program our health insurance has), so we bought a wii. I was a little scared, the kids had lost interest in the game cube and I didn't have to work so hard to monitor things anymore, with no tv and no interest in video games I was pretty much just regulating the computer. I was pleased though that so far, so good. The kids seem to only want to play together as a family! Yay!

He really hates pictures so I just have to snap them when I can.
Jacob Bowling.


Feb 12. As of today I have Peyton almost weaned. It is pretty sad though. I have nursed her once in the last 2 days and as far as I know that may have been the last time (sniff, sniff) It is just yet another sign that our house will be baby free. She is still not walking, but yesterday Aunt Morgan worked with her using a push toy my friend Kelly lent me (thanks Kelly) and this morning she was pushing that thing all over the place. So, as for the weaning, I know you aren't supposed to give a baby a bottle after 12 months, but she was clueless as how to use one of those sippy cup things and didn't get enough milk with a regular cup and I finally got her to suck on a bottle. So, for now, that's what she is using, but only with meals. She is such a sweet girl and has quite the personality and sense of humor.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

How sad are the signs a baby is growing up... I really wish I could go back to those days and know what I do now. I'd be a way better mother and do somethings different !! But then hind sight is always 20 / 20 isn't it ??? I know you are enjoying these days and will remember them fondly as the best years of your life !! Love Ya R

PS I posted another pay it forward game on which no one has commented ?? Do I have cooties ?? lol

Kristie said...

Anna has that same little sleeper that Peyton is wearing! Sooo cute. Have fun with the Wii!!

The Smith Family said...

We got a wii for Chrismas and Justin and Adam have sure had fun with it. Adam got all the old "original" nintendo games put on some sd cards (that you can do on the wii) and it's been fun watching the original Mario games through Justin's eyes. As for Peyton, I was just thinking today how I've missed having a baby around (as Spencer does NOT snuggle anymore!). And I think the whole "try to get rid of bottles" thing is around 15 months, so no biggie. She'll figure out cups in no time. Ahh, such big changes. Kids sure do grow up quick!

Yasmine said...

Ooooh...I want a wii so bad!

Unknown said...

So cute.....every one is cute. You're all cute. Peyton isn't nursing but she's still a baby. :)
You have a sweet family Kelly

Whittaker Woman said...

I love the picture of her, as you are telling the story of weaning and the bottle. So great! H

Grandma Honey said...

I know I may be in the minority, but I see nothing wrong with giving a baby a bottle after 12 months of age. At least then you know she is getting enough liquids, which I think is very important.
Oh Kelly, it's hard to believe your baby girl is that old already.

Jared and Lindsey said...

Hi Kelly! It was good to see you on Sunday! I didn't see your kids, but I saw you sitting in the primary room. Is Peyton really 1 already. Wow! I guess it's been a while since I have see you. Hope everything is going great!

socialworkeratheart said...

So I must have screwed up somewhere-my boys all had bottles after 12 months, and Eli still takes one. I totally can relate to weaning-we're not there yet, but as he gets closer to walking, its just another sign that our baby days are numbered.

Linda said...

Don't worry, kids are never fully weaned. They still depend on parents for some love and nurturing. Steve & I bought a wii. We had to keep up with the kids and grandkids. We aren't very good, out 7 year old grandson beats us most of the time.